An Excuse to Write
Sunday, January 09, 2005
  Power of Music

I am always amazed the way music can affect. Your emotions can resonate with a song; it can take you for a ride. And you can’t always point out what moved you. Was it the melody, the rhythm, the lyrics? Did it evoke some association that eludes your conscious thinking? Some songs so strongly remind me of certain people or situations that they seem to provoke equally powerful sentiments.

Did you ever feel that way? As if somebody found the keys to your consciousness and decided to play heavy tones of depression, sharp notes of desperation, soft refrains of nostalgia and a racy tune of high spirits? Was listening to Naach. I could taste the searing ambition in my mouth in Saara Saara. More than that, a sense of sadism, masochism, longing and futility has found its way in Makarand Deshpande’s rendition of Rakht Ka Hai, that is rousing in me uneasy fascination.

 
Comments:
I have this uncanny habbit of listening to music whenever i am OFF for whatever reason, and MUSIC always comes to the rescue.. be it Mark Knopfler's guitar melodies on a Dire Straits' album, Metallica's power cords, A.R. Rehman's moving rhythms or Jagjit's deep voice!

I echo your musings on music! :-)
 
Beautifully expressed; I felt the same way you did when listening to the song "Rakth ka Hai". I find it really strange that most of the music critics didn't appreciate the song the way it was meant to be. Guess they don't like "unconventional" sounds and singing.

Lotus from LotusReads@blogspot
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home
"You write because you need to write, or because you hope someone will listen, or because writing will mend something broken inside you, or bring something back to life-" - Jay Makintosh (from Blackberry Wine) I need to write. I need to rearrange and refine sentences. I want to ponder over how to put that thought in words; so that it fits in the scheme of things just so. Words can create magic and I want to get lost in them for some part of each day's life.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Calcutta, West Bengal, India
Archives
July 2004 / August 2004 / September 2004 / October 2004 / November 2004 / January 2005 / February 2005 / March 2005 / April 2005 / June 2005 / July 2005 / August 2005 / May 2006 / June 2006 / March 2007 /


Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]