An Excuse to Write
Friday, July 30, 2004
  Why iPod?

Some time back I was asked why anyone would buy an iPod. And I must say, I wasn't very convincing. The first argument that popped up in my head was, "Because its so cool !" For one thing, I've never used one. But after countless feeds of Chip, Digit (stopped reading that now) and CNET.com, I seem to ardently believe that iPod is the mp3 player to possess. An example of effective hype and product placement, probably.


What I know about the iPod for sure is that it looks good, has enormous capacity, can be effectively used as a portable hard-disc, possess a well sized LCD screen, can display ID3 tags, create playlists and so on. AND is very expensive (especially in the Indian market).

What I've heard is that it has very good sound quality (but the effect is best experienced in headphones better than the bundled ones), backlight is good, buttons are very responsive, transfering files from the computer is very very fast, battery life is average (though the new models have improved on that), it lacks FM but add-ons are available, and has a cult fan following.

Practically,

I for one will probably never have a music collection spread over 20-40 Gb and sadly enough, considering I don't have money to throw away, I cannot justify the cost of an iPod.


The Creative Rhomba LX100/LX200 (CNET review) would probably be more than adequate. It has a cool blue LCD, can display ID3 tags, 128-256 MB is enough, a FM player is just what I'd adore, its small, uses the USB interface (I love USB; one of the most convenient technologies) and it has a Lithion-ion battery (read: rechargable; also on my list of favourite technologies) that gives 10-12 hours. I think it costs around 9500 Rs. Actually, a FM enabled mobile, my present one is not so, would probably meet my music needs; but I don't want to be that practical.

Ideally,

I have lusted after a GMail account in the past and I can atleast dream about this. What can I say, I like gizmos. For all those who would question this too, I can say that people buy (or want) stupid camera phones (even though they've never taken any interest in photography and quality of pictures is mediocre at best) all the time. The majority of my critics being in this category, usually shut up. And if the reviewers are to be believed the iPaq is a quality player; and I've always wanted to own an Apple product (brand image again).

PS: I like thinking like this. practically (though my practicalism always has a touch of idealism) and ideally. Then I can choose one way to go depending on the circumstances and my mood.

PPS: Completely (except this post script and the pics) written on my iPaq! I can barely contain my glee.

 
Comments:
iPod is cool.... my room mate has one.. its just too good..
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home
"You write because you need to write, or because you hope someone will listen, or because writing will mend something broken inside you, or bring something back to life-" - Jay Makintosh (from Blackberry Wine) I need to write. I need to rearrange and refine sentences. I want to ponder over how to put that thought in words; so that it fits in the scheme of things just so. Words can create magic and I want to get lost in them for some part of each day's life.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Calcutta, West Bengal, India
Archives
July 2004 / August 2004 / September 2004 / October 2004 / November 2004 / January 2005 / February 2005 / March 2005 / April 2005 / June 2005 / July 2005 / August 2005 / May 2006 / June 2006 / March 2007 /


Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]