An Excuse to Write
Tuesday, July 20, 2004
  Sitting on the Fence

I've been putting off writing about this, just like I've been putting off thinking about it (and thus coming to a decision). I'm still to reach to decision, but things were put in better perspective, by some of my father's observations. I've better realized what's at stake here.

It's a choice between a full-time job or college life.

I'm straight out of Class XII. I took Science as my stream, just so I could study Computer Science and I didn't do well (put it down to lack of application/interest) except in (you guessed it) Computers and English. Average board marks means my options are limited. And as far as JEE and every other engineering entrance test is concerned, I'm not interested. The less said the better. Before my software classes I had my sights set on Mass Communication in Xaviers and I applied to all the courses I had a shot for and could imagine myself in.

Then, software classes started. Its a free training course in this software company (my father is the major investor there), where they'll absorb the people they find useful. Till now, its been a crash course in SQL, Power Builder, VB and VC# .NET and I've loved it. I'm good at programming. I like the company and I have the chance to work full-time. That means I'll have to join Bhawanipore (read: morning college that needn't be attended) and work 9-5 five days a week.

On the other hand, I'm tempted to give it up for Mass Communication in Xaviers (assuming that I get in). College life, especially in Xaviers, has its own charms. The subject seems so interesting, and there's a good chance that my perspective may get narrowed and my life repetitive if all I do is this job. College is college, yaar.

But if I settle for something less than Mass Comm, I'll be miserable. I don't want to repeat those last two years of school. I don't want to keep regretting the chance I didn't take.

Then again, it might not be that big a sacrifice after all. If I work hard, I might be worth something in the IT world in some years. Or I might apply to the US again and get in, since job experience counts. (Yeah, I applied last year; I need scholarship; the only thing going for me was good SAT scores 1550 and reccomendations; and I still want to try.)

I want to do both! I want college life and do what I like i.e programming. But like Calvin says, "Reality continues to ruin my life."

PS: There's another part about an angry best friend and a seat in Xaviers BBA that I have refused.

 
Comments:
I agree to what teju says.
Life is a long journey, enjoy each moment and opportunity it throws in front of you. I was also thinking, is'nt it a bit too early for you to work 9-5 ?
Take a "chill-pill", College life is real fun, dont miss it for anything in the world. As for work, you'll have plenty of it some day or the other.
 
See, I don't want the job because of money. I probabhly won't get paid. I want it because its interesting.

And I'm terrified of getting enrolled in some stupid course in college, just to have college life, and being miserable for the next 3 years.
 
Dipika, you are much too young to work full time I think, do comp science if you feel you are good at programming. It is a bit early to work 9 to 5 but sure, if you can handle some side projects it will immensely help you in getting a kickass job when you graduate.

If studying in the US is an option then go all out for it, especially if you are considering engineering, I speak from the other side of the fence so my opinion may be a trifle biased. Whatever it is you decide, good luck.

Chanced up on here through holdensays, and as you can see I like giving advice :)

Regards.
 
Well, If you are really interested in programming, and not coding... I would suggest that you grab a book on algorithms: They are far more fun and also intellectually challenging. Then there are lots of competitions you can take part in: Bitwise organized by IIT Kgp, ACM international programming competitions, and probably a hundred thousand more.

And if you really want to master the C language, take a copy of Kerninghan and Ritchie... These are the guys who designed the language, so you can literally get it from the horses mouth. For SQL etc, TMHs the Complete Reference is a good series. And pls remember, software from Redmond is not the end of the code... It is only the beginning, by using VB and .NET you would be limiting yourself to Windoze specific software, try to be more generic.

There is nobody stopping you from pursuing a Mass Comm course and delving deeper into the nuances of the C language, simultaneously.

And I also feel, that full time work for an 18 year old, may just tend to get a little boring after some time. Rite now it is time to build up your skill set, learn more technoloiges, before plunging into work full time. And enjoy college life. It is really important, because we hardly get to know how much "fun" college is, esp. in a hostel. Only for city dwellers, i guess life speeds through the travelling and tutions, and they are never able to savour the bliss of sipping coffee at 3 in the morning.

Anyway, good luck.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home
"You write because you need to write, or because you hope someone will listen, or because writing will mend something broken inside you, or bring something back to life-" - Jay Makintosh (from Blackberry Wine) I need to write. I need to rearrange and refine sentences. I want to ponder over how to put that thought in words; so that it fits in the scheme of things just so. Words can create magic and I want to get lost in them for some part of each day's life.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Calcutta, West Bengal, India
Archives
July 2004 / August 2004 / September 2004 / October 2004 / November 2004 / January 2005 / February 2005 / March 2005 / April 2005 / June 2005 / July 2005 / August 2005 / May 2006 / June 2006 / March 2007 /


Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]