An Excuse to Write
Wednesday, July 07, 2004
  Sharing Code
This has been a problem throughout. Ever since I was introduced to programming through GW Basic and Logo(does it count as a language?) in school and discovered I was the only one in class with any actual interest in the subject; I have hated handing around my coding.
For that matter, I'm not too akin to giving out any kind of material (research, organized History notes, some Lit answer I took an hour to pen down) that I've worked on (usually longer than I should or can afford to). I'm possesive.

Now I know I'm not in school anymore. There is no mad scramble for marks to compete in. But if after an hour or so of brain-storming, trial-and-error and some pure chance (there is always some) you arrive at a code that actually does what you want it to do, and someone else casually walks by and copies it down; you have a right to be indignant. Ok, I might be going a bit far here, but I do have a point. You need to work (read: bang your head against the monitor) on your own code for a decent amount of time before you ask for help, and even more till you have to look at someone else's program. Right?

Another issue. I want to get due recognition for my work. There is no simpler way to put this. Being the only student straight out of school and the youngest I need to be taken seriously.

Actually things might be looking up a bit. This instructor, in contrast to the prior ones, has started questioning why (mostly) everyone's programs contain very similar portions (read: mine and my partner's).

Eiter way I can't refuse to help anyone outright. I'd say "It's not Fair!", but my Dad recently commented that I say that a lot and there's no such thing as "fair".
 
Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home
"You write because you need to write, or because you hope someone will listen, or because writing will mend something broken inside you, or bring something back to life-" - Jay Makintosh (from Blackberry Wine) I need to write. I need to rearrange and refine sentences. I want to ponder over how to put that thought in words; so that it fits in the scheme of things just so. Words can create magic and I want to get lost in them for some part of each day's life.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Calcutta, West Bengal, India
Archives
July 2004 / August 2004 / September 2004 / October 2004 / November 2004 / January 2005 / February 2005 / March 2005 / April 2005 / June 2005 / July 2005 / August 2005 / May 2006 / June 2006 / March 2007 /


Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]